By Kecia’s Flavor Breakthrough!
By now I think you all know how much I adore chili… all chili. Tonight I want to make a meal that has chili but is a totally fun and comforting dish. I think the addition of the little bread bowl will make it so fun! Plus satisfying and just good! This is an easy recipe, but has a lot of ingredients…
Serves 4 with left over chili
Prep 20 Cook 45
- 1 pound ground chicken (beef or turkey works, too)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (I like it spicy, you can omit or adjust to your taste)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto bean, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Mexican corn, drained
- 1 can diced green chili
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 4 Telera Rolls (Any large roll with a crusty crust will do)
In a large pot brown your ground chicken.
Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and celery, cook until onion becomes slightly translucent.
Add the balance of the ingredients except the cheese and the rolls.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer at least a half hour to let flavors combine.
Preheat the oven to 375°F. While the chili is cooking, cut the tops of the rolls out and hollow the insides, Place in oven for a few minutes to toast the insides.
Place 1/8 of a cup of the cheese in the bottom of each roll.
When the chili is done, fill the bread bowls with it. Sprinkle just a bit of cheese on top of the chili, place top back on and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
Pop back into the over for 5 to 10 minutes to crisp the rolls and melt the cheese.